This Getting Started Guide provides you with all the useful help desk article links arranged in an order that will help you get started with your first game translation project on OneSky.
The pre-translation process: Creating your projects and preparing reference materials
- Create your project and import your content by uploading your string files or hooking up with our API.
- Suggested glossary terms include character names, item names, ability/skill, zone/area, etc.
- Especially important for characters, items, etc.
Add descriptions to project / individual strings to provide more background information to translators
- Especially important if your game contains dialogues. For each dialogue, please indicate the speaker and the listener in the string description as these information are important in providing good quality translation in certain languages. For example, for some languages, translators need to know the gender and age of the speaker and the receiver to determine what translation to use.
You can also set length limits to ensure translations won't be too long that will break your UI.
Prepare a spreadsheet with reference materials like the sample spreadsheet attached to this article for translators as reference.
The actual translation process
- Order professional translation service from us or invite your own collaborators to contribute.
- We highly recommend choosing to use "Game" translators to handle your orders so that your order will be handled by translators who are specialized in games. You can indicate your preference under "What is the subject of this order" at step 3 of the order form.
- During the translation process, maintain close communications with the translators to clarify on questions that they might have.
- When the translation is done, you can download the translation from our platform or via our API.
Post-translation QA and future updates
- To ensure everything looks good (e.g. fonts, line-breaks, etc.) before launching, you can order on-device testing service where our testers will help to test your translations on actual devices.
- For future updates, simply upload your updated string files to the same project and our system can automatically detect the differences so you will only need to pay for the strings that are new or updated.
- You can select to use the same translator to handle all your future orders for consistency purpose.